Keeping in touch
posted by Gabriela on Monday, July 23, 2007|

A couple of days ago a nice thing happened, a nice surprise. I was online (as always) and I saw an old friend was online as well. And she's never online! Believe me, I would know, I'm always online. So, I said hi, but didn't get an answer. So I waited... and waited, meanwhile I checked my emails, read blogs, and I think I even blogged. It was a lot of time. I thought she would never answer so I forgot about it, and suddenly she did answer. I was so happy to hear from her after four years of knowing nothing about her.

She lives in Taiwan but I met her at Austin, Texas. And of all the friends I had there she's the only one I know of. We started remembering the good times when we were fourteen. And we started chatting about our current lives. I was really happy. Though a little sad about my other "lost friends".

This is one of the things I like the most in life. To talk again to people that I still like but for some reason I haven't known about them for years. It is such a good feeling. At least for me. Then I try keeping in touch, and I don't care if I'm the one who has to give the first step and call, or invite, or whatever. I think it's worth it.

Anyways, she gave me her address and asked for mine. So I'll send her a letter via snail mail and receiving one from her. That should be fun, I love writing letters, and the thought of getting a letter from Taiwan is quite exciting.


XoXo
Gaby


P.S. Anyone else wants to be my pen pal? I'm not kidding.

Labels: ,




6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said... on 12:58 AM  

I think that's cool. Even though I was born and raised here, we lived in Reno, NV for about 5 1/2 years. It was the best childhood in my entire life. There were at least 2-3 kids in each house and we always liked to go to this one house because they were the only ones on the block with a pool.

We moved back here just in time for me to enter the 6th grade (where I experienced racism for the first time, BTW) and I currently keep in contact with one person from that time in my life. He's been my friend for 26 yrs and stood up with me at my wedding last year. To this day, I still wonder what happened to the other kids in my neighborhood. Where are they now? What do they look like? How old are they? Are they married with children? I especially wonder about my godmother and her family. They lived next door to us and we lost touch with them after we moved.

I think about that time in my life alot and wonder...

Blogger Amelia said... on 10:10 AM  

Awww...days when you were 14....oh why is it so hard for me to remember them? I'd be your pen pal if you don't mind writing an old lady..... ^^

Blogger Ivÿ said... on 8:11 PM  

hullo gabby girl...it's been a long time. by the way, i like your new blog design...love it in fact. :)

i got the same feeling as you did about friends from way back and then keeping in touch after a while.

by the way, i'm into collecting postcards and i thought of sending you one. Just email me your mailing address, ok? Waiting...:)

ciao.

Blogger Gabriela said... on 9:43 PM  

celise:

I experienced racism in kindergarden. It's...I have no words. A friend for 26 yrs, says a lot, you're so lucky. I guess I'll keep wondering about the my other friends too.

amelia:

LOL. I don't mind. Send me an email with your address and I'll send you mine.

ivan:

Sure, and I'll send you one. =)

Blogger j said... on 8:24 PM  

I have a pen pal, she is one of my closest friends. I tell her things I would never dream of telling my "best" friends here. We met through an online support group (for the disorder we both have) and have been snail mailing each other for nearly 7 years.

Sometimes the old fashion ways of communicating are better then the high tech way of emailing or chatting on msn.

Blogger Just a girl said... on 3:17 AM  

Hey Gaby,
I love your blog, and your new template too. I also love pen pals, I've had a couple and loved the relationships we've formed. Want to email? Check out my blog and leave me a line:
http://girlsarebitchy.blogspot.com
x
Just a girl

Post a Comment

<< Home