White Oleander
posted by Gabriela on Saturday, September 22, 2007|


White Oleander is one of my favorite movies, it's a 2002 movie but I just discovered it a month ago, and I loved it. Even though I didn't get to see it from beginning to end because I found it randomly on TV, I fell in love with the story. I'm sure some of you have seen it, and if you haven't, I think you should.

After her uncompromising but seductive mother Ingrid (MICHELLE PFEIFFER) kills her boyfriend for abandoning her, fifteen-year-old Astrid (ALISON LOHMAN) witnesses her mother's arrest. It's an event that will change the course of both their lives. Suddenly, young Astrid is on her own.

Shuttled through a series of foster homes (and foster mothers including ROBIN WRIGHT PENN and RENÉE ZELLWEGER), Astrid struggles to master the techniques she needs if she's to survive the unyielding and often harsh world she is thrust into. Astrid tries desperately to forge her own identity within her ever-changing environment. From behind bars, Ingrid's powerful influence is the only constant in Astrid's life. For good, and for bad...

My favorite quote:

Ingrid to Astrid
Don't attach yourself to anyone who shows you the least bit of attention because you're lonely. Loneliness is the human condition. No one is ever going to fill that space. The best you can do is know yourself... know what you want.
When I first heard it in the movie, I felt like it was for me. I often attach to anyone who treats me well, it's like I'm not used to it so when someone does... I don't let go. If you think about it, it's quite pathetic.

About loneliness being the human condition, I do understand it, and a part of me strongly agrees, but my mind tries not to. Especially in the past years, I've found I've always been used to the idea of being better off alone, so sometimes I force myself to believe it's not true, that it's okay to need someone. But in the end... I guess I agree. I kind of have to.

XoXo
Gaby

Labels: , , ,




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home