Helpless
posted by Gabriela on Saturday, October 20, 2007|

I'm hating my life...

It's nothing compared to other things, but it's still messing everything up. The atmosphere at school is unbearable, seniors not only despise us, but hate us (freshmen). Why? Because of something that isn't really our fault.

It used to be a tradition for seniors to make a welcome party for first year students, in which freshmen were supposed to go through a sort of initiation, I don't know how that initiation is called in English, according to Wikipedia it is known as ragging and hazing. Anyway, I think you know what I'm talking about.

Last year, something really bad happened, and since then it's forbidden. Fifth graders didn't like it, obviously, and they hate us now. They've made our life at school quite ugly. Yesterday they made the hardest test ever, and I won't even talk about today.

I guess what's really bugging me, is the fact that I can't do anything about it. I feel totally helpless. And it isn't my fault!

Almost all of us have agreed to go through the initiation. I don't know if seniors will make it because they could get expelled for that, so they have to make sure that all of us agree (and that's not easy).

I'm okay with going through that disgusting and humilliating ritual if that's what it takes for us to be "in". I just want it to be over.

XoXo
Gaby


P.S. I'm sick and tired, medicine is not as convincing as I thought it would be. Not only because of this issue, it's just not convincing...

Labels: , , ,




7 Comments:

Blogger Just a girl said... on 10:19 PM  

Hey Gaby,
I know exactly what you're talking about - initiation is a pretty universal concept (if you'd said ragging and hazing, I'd had no idea). I'm sorry this is such a shitty for you to be going through. I know that before I came to my senior boarding school campus, initiation by seniors to sophmores (yr 10s, because yr 9s were on another campus) was a big problem, and the school has been punishing people hard for it. Fortunately, it's pretty much diminished over the years. Last year a guy had to go to hospital because he'd been beaten badly in the kidneys. Unfortunately, it's a bit of a culture here - it was done to me, I'll do it to them. And parents who attended the school support it - "it was good for me." It's ridiculous, and only exists in the boys houses.
I only hope that your initiation is not too rough. The seniors should just get over it, I don't see why it's a big deal, it's clearly a twisted, sadistic pleasure.
x
Just a girl

Blogger Voegtli said... on 11:15 PM  

I wish you too that you get out of this ok. But I am certain, you will. :-)

Blogger Kat said... on 6:41 PM  

I know all too well that Freshman Feeling.
The seniors are only upset because they had to go through and now they've lost their chance to return the favor.
But, the horrible cycle had to end somewhere.

Anonymous Anonymous said... on 8:57 PM  

When you talk about initiation, I think of sororities. Are you pledging? Or is this something that happens when you go to college in your country? If it's going to cause me harm or public humiliation, then it's not worth it. Even if it's to become "in". I'd be there to learn. If I made friends, cool. If not, so be it. I'd have friends on the "outside."

I don't understand how parents condone that shit. Kids die, get seriously hurt and they say things like "it was good for me?" That's bullshit. Since when is public humiliation good for you? Since when is getting sent to the hospital good for you? Like it's going to make you a better person or something.

Nuh-uh. I wouldn't play that game.

Blogger Just a girl said... on 12:04 AM  

Hey Gaby,
Hope you're not hospitalized or something b/c of initation...(!)...thus your absence...anyhow, just thought I'd let you know/ask you if it's ok to link you on my blog, b/c I love yours!
xo
Just a girl

Blogger Gabriela said... on 11:06 PM  

just a girl:

Well, it still hasn't happened. And it seems like they'll never get over it. ¬¬

worldman:

Yeah, I'm sure it will be ok. I just want it to be over.

kat:

Yepp, I still don't know if it will end with us.

celise:

It's not that bad, I mean, I've heard about worse initiations. So, I'll go through it if I have to.

just a girl:

Yeah, sure, I'll link to yours as well. =)

Blogger Unknown said... on 5:35 AM  

When I think about initiation, I think about swirlies (where they stick your head in the toilet and flush it a bunch of times) and paddles (where they hit you with the paddle).

I also picture high school.

I can't picture colleges or universities doing it.

When I think of initiation, I think of bullying. It's just another way to belittle someone to make yourself feel good. It takes away the person's dignity and makes them feel completely unwelcome.

Surprisingly, I have never been initiated. I just feel strongly about the matter because some kids go through really bad initiations. NOBODY should feel the need that in order to fit in, they MUST be initiated.

Post a Comment

<< Home